When it comes to health, we trust on popping some expensive pills that guarantee (not really!) good health and immunity. Well, nowadays, when shopping malls and online shopping have taken the world by storm, keeping a balance between your health and pocket becomes more of an arduous work. If you are reading this article already, you are one of us who want good health but do not want to spend unnecessarily on the food items that are hyped much beyond their excellence. And thats why, we found out the best way to escape the trap by including these ten budget friendly healthy foods in your diet. These are packed with vitamins, minerals, essential nutrients and dont bust your budget. Diet Expert and Nutritionist of Gympik, Sujetha Shetty says, “The best way to escape the trap is to include these ten super foods in your diet as they are packed with vitamins, minerals, and essential nutrients.” So, go ahead and add these in your diet to give your health a nutritional boost.
Here are 10 budget friendly healthy foods
- Black Beans: – Beans are good for your heart as they are full of healthy fat, fiber, minerals, vitamins, antioxidants, and protein. Its low glycemic index helps release energy slowly and keeps you fuller for longer. Moreover, beans help reducing cholesterol. There are various types of beans from pinto beans, black beans to garbanzo beans and more.
- Sweet potatoes: – Sweet potatoes are packed with nutrients. The entire potato is edible, even the skin contains essential antioxidants. This low calorie nutritious powerhouse contains fiber, potassium, calcium, vitamin A (beta-carotene), vitamin B1, vitamin B2, vitamin B6, vitamin C, manganese, potassium, phosphorus, niacin, copper, and pantothenic acid.
- Eggs: – Loaded with high quality protein, eggs contain vitamin A, B6, D, E, K, B12, selenium, essential amino acids, folate, phosphorus, minerals like iron, calcium, zinc, and copper. The zeaxanthin and lutein antioxidants help reduce the chances of major eye disorders. Its highly filling, thus, consuming eggs daily help shedding some extra kilos too.
- Banana: – This fruit is a powerhouse of potassium, fiber, magnesium, vitamin C, B6, manganese, copper, protein and calcium. Full of nutrients, the benefits of banana can easily give all the other fruits a run for their money. Bananas are easily available and are not costly also. This fruit lowers the risk of heart disease, cures ulcers and constipation.
- Beetroot: – Beetroots contain betalains, an antioxidant that helps prevent cancer and other chronic diseases. It also contains fiber, folate, vitamin C, and essential minerals such as manganese, magnesium and potassium. This vegetable helps boosting liver, bone health, pancreas, and kidneys. It also helps in boosting stamina, lowering blood pressure level, purifying blood, improving liver condition and detoxifying body.
- Lentils: – Lentils are rich in potassium, dietary fiber, iron, protein, folate, vitamin B1, phosphorus, copper, pantothenic acid, zinc, magnesium, and vitamin B6. It also helps lowering the risk of heart diseases, and stabilizing blood sugar level. Easily available and cheap, this super food has everything to boost your health condition. `
- Spinach: – The rich source of essential nutrients, phosphorus, potassium, vitamins A, B6, C, E, K, zinc, protein, folate, niacin, thiamin, calcium, iron, magnesium, copper, manganese and fiber, make spinach a power packed source of nutrients. It also contains carotenoid and flavonoid. Apart from being one of the best foods for its nutritional value, spinach also acts as an anti-inflammatory food, and helps keeping digestive system healthy. It contains glycoglycerolipids that assists in keeping the digestive tract healthy and also keeps inflammation at bay.
- Yogurt: Yogurt contains the benefits of animal protein and dairy foods that include calcium, potassium, magnesium, vitamin B12, and vitamin B2. It also contains probiotics (bifidobacterium and lactobacillus) which is known as healthy bacteria that help boosting stronger immunity and promote a healthier digestive system. It also helps in stabilizing blood pressure level.
- Tofu: – A rich source of protein and essential amino acids, Tofu is low in fat and rich in calcium, copper, zinc, iron, selenium, magnesium, vitamin B1, manganese, and phosphorous. It helps lower the LDL cholesterol, aids type 2 diabetes, increases bone density, prevents liver damage, decreases menopausal symptoms, and prevents liver damage. Its antioxidant properties reduce the chances of cancer.
- Sunflower seeds: – These wonder seeds are rich sources of vitamins B1, E, minerals, phytosterols, antioxidants, folate and essential nutrients. Daily consumption of this healthy food promotes healthy cholesterol levels, cardiovascular health, stronger nervous and immune systems, supports healthy mood, cures depression, and improves thyroid hormone metabolism to name a few.
So, even if you are running out of budget or going on a saving mode lately, these foods can give you the benefits similar to those costlier international veggies and fruits. Trust me, you can get good health without making a big hole in your pocket as these foods are good sources of essential nutrients and antioxidants that can prove beneficial for your body. Share your ideas about budget friendly foods in the comments section below. See you on the other side, till then- stay fit, stay healthy!