Admit it! Every time you hear the word healthy food you want to run and hide. Well, we dont blame you. Last we checked, no one was particularly excited about Cod Liver Oil or Karela juice shots. But flax seeds?
Even you have to agree that with their delicate nutty flavour and crunchy texture, flax seeds arent bad at all. Apart from the taste, what really make flaxseeds awesome are the tremendous health benefits they bring to the table (no puns intended!).
Each tablespoon of whole flaxseeds contains 3 grams of fibre, 2 grams of protein and 2300 milligrams of alpha-linolenic acid or ALA. The ALA is a type of fatty acid which helps decrease the risk of diabetes, arthritis and cardiovascular diseases. Apart from this, they are also rich in manganese, thiamin, selenium and antioxidants.
So how do we take this already delicious yet healthy superfood and make it irresistible? Stand back young Padawan and let us reveal to you these 5 delicious recipes which are so delicious, you will feel like a Skywalker!
1. Flaxseed-Blueberry-Maple Muffins
Made from whole wheat flour, sweetened by the goodness of maple syrup, and enriched by the signature nutty flavour of the flax seeds, these blueberry-maple muffins are reason enough reason to switch to a healthy diet.
- 1/3 cup whole flaxseeds
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 cup nonfat buttermilk, (see Tip)
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups fresh blueberries
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Coat the muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Grind flax seeds and transfer to a large bowl.
- Add whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt to the bowl. Whisk to blend.
- Whisk eggs and maple syrup in a medium bowl until smooth. Add buttermilk, oil, orange zest, orange juice and vanilla; whisk until blended.
- Add the whisked eggs blend to the flour mix and stir till the mixture is just moistened. Add fresh blueberries.
- Now scoop the batter into the muffin cups.
- Bake the muffins for 15 to 25 minutes, until the tops are golden brown and spring back when touched lightly. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Let the muffin cool for 5 minutes and serve.
2. Strawberry-Banana-Flaxseed Smoothie
Whoever said no to a smoothie, hasnt yet tasted the flaxseed smoothie! Especially when it comes in this epic avatar of strawberry, banana and flaxseed.
- 1 medium banana
- 1 cup baby spinach
- ½ cup low-fat plain Greek yoghurt
- ½ cup nonfat milk
- 6 frozen strawberries
- 1 tablespoon flaxseeds
- Add banana, yoghurt, milk, strawberries and flax seeds in a blender.
- Blend until smooth for about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Serve chilled.
3. Flaxseed-Granola Parfait
Combining the richness of Greek yoghurt, crunchiness of flaxseed and granola with the sweet and savoury flavour of fresh blueberries, the flax seed granola parfait is the parfait way of shutting up the critics of health food.
- 1 cup plain Greek yoghurt
- 1 granola bar
- 1 tbsp flaxseed
- ¼ cup fresh blueberries
- Fresh mint for garnish (optional)
- Layer ? cup Greek yoghurt into the bottom a tall glass.
- Add some flax seed, granola and fresh blueberries to the glass.
- Alternate layers of blueberries, flaxseed and granola with Greek yoghurt until the glass is filled to the top.
- Serve parfaits immediately and enjoy the crunchy feeling.
4. Flaxseed Egg Salad Recipe
How can anything with eggs ever go wrong, right? Kick start your day with this egg-cellent salad, made even more awesome with the nuttiness of the flax seeds.
- 2 hard boiled egg whites
- 2 tbsp Hummus
- 1 small stick celery, chopped
- 1 tbsp flaxseed (ground)
- 1 tsp dill
- 1 tsp rosemary
- Boil two eggs for 15 minutes till hard boiled.
- Chop the celery into medium size pieces.
- Remove the yolks and place the egg whites in a medium sized bowl.
- Chop the egg whites into small pieces.
- Add hummus, chopped celery, flax seed and spices to the bowl and mix well.
- Garnish with fresh mint leaves and serve.
5. Flaxseed Raita
The flaxseed raita is the reason why the phrase Raita fail gaya! will cease to alarm your near and dear ones. No sir! One serving of this delicious condiment and watch them recall the delectable taste with a nostalgic stare in their eyes at the very mention of the word Raita!
- 1 cup cucumber, finely grated
- ½ cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup low-fat curd, freshly beaten
- ½ cup mint leaves, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp roasted cumin seeds
- ¼ tsp black salt
- 1½ tbsp roasted and coarsely ground flax seeds
- Coriander for garnish
- Pour the freshly beaten curd into a deep bowl.
- Add ½ cup of onion, mint leaves, roasted cumin seeds, coarsely ground flax seed into the bowl and mix well.
- Add some black salt to the mixture as per your taste.
- Garnish with coriander.
- Serve chilled
There, five more ways to flax your muscles and prove to the world that health is not always at the cost of taste. Know of some more such recipes? Tell us in the comment below.